mmap over file end - warning true after all?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Sep 2 14:24:00 UTC 2010

On 02.09.10 14:33:15, David Nolden wrote:
> No, this is no problem. We allocate 40kb chunks for each bucket, but
> we don't use all of the chunk, and we only "initialize" the parts that
> we use (for example in the moment you create a new IndexedString).
> However when writing to disk, we write down the whole bucket,
> including the uninitialized part. However since the uninitialized part
> is unused, it's no problem. At some point, it will be overwritten with
> useful content.
>
> I think I already explained this once.

Is there anything preventing us from initializing the 'unused' parts with 0
or -1 or whatever dummy value? As far as I understood Qt devs (in
particular Thiago I believe) won't remove the warning, so if its as easy as
initializing to some random value then we should do that to silence the
warning (as people will be looking at that and pointing fingers our
direction).

Stay the curse.