Mass replacement in GrepView : mock-up

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Oct 26 20:03:54 UTC 2010

Julien Desgats, 26.10.2010:
> 2010/10/26 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>
> > Looks good and is similar to what the replace-in-files plugin in
> > KDevelop3, except that back then one had to provide the replacement-text
> > before starting the whole thing.
>
> It's not clear but here too : a click on Replace would not prompt anything
> (the replacement text is prompted on the first dialog)

Call the button "Apply".

> > One thing that I didn't quite understand is the 'open files that are to
> > be modified', do you mean open a text editor for each file where a
> > replacement occurs? IMHO thats not good, in KDev3 days I've used for
> > real mass-replace, i.e. a few hundred files. I wouldn't want all those to
> > be opened up in the editor
>
> This point is still under discussion : open files in IDE can quickly become
> very heavy but, on the other hand, a file based replacement cannot be
> undone.

We eventually want to have that somewhere in CodeRepresentation /
DocumentChangeSet so all our refactorizations can be reviewed and undone.
Maybe future work for you guys? :)

> > What would be good though is a short preview of how the code will look
> > like after the replacement (thats obviously easier when one has to
> > provide the replacement before starting the search). That way one can
> > more easily decide wether the occurrence is to be replaced or not.
> > Ideally with 2-3 files of before/after context. Not sure how to
> > integrate that into the gui without making the tree harder to navigate,
> > maybe a tooltip?
>
> Yeah I like the tooltip idea. And with this the memory based replacement
> would be less useful.

I aggree, a "this is how it's going to look like" with the replaced part being
highlighted would be tremendously helpful. Though a "replace without preview"
might also be interesting, as for those cases where you are sure about what to
replace you might not want to run the file-glob twice and save some time.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de