Mass replacement in GrepView : mock-up

Julien Desgats julien.desgats at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 18:03:36 UTC 2010

2010/10/26 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>

> Looks good and is similar to what the replace-in-files plugin in
> KDevelop3, except that back then one had to provide the replacement-text
> before starting the whole thing.

It's not clear but here too : a click on Replace would not prompt anything
(the replacement text is prompted on the first dialog)

One thing that I didn't quite understand is the 'open files that are to
> be modified', do you mean open a text editor for each file where a
> replacement occurs? IMHO thats not good, in KDev3 days I've used for
> real mass-replace, i.e. a few hundred files. I wouldn't want all those to
> be opened up in the editor

This point is still under discussion : open files in IDE can quickly become
very heavy but, on the other hand, a file based replacement cannot be
undone.

What would be good though is a short preview of how the code will look
> like after the replacement (thats obviously easier when one has to
> provide the replacement before starting the search). That way one can
> more easily decide wether the occurrence is to be replaced or not.
> Ideally with 2-3 files of before/after context. Not sure how to
> integrate that into the gui without making the tree harder to navigate,
> maybe a tooltip?

Yeah I like the tooltip idea. And with this the memory based replacement
would be less useful.

> Andreas
>
> --
> You'll be called to a post requiring ability in handling groups of people.
>
> --

Thanks for your feedback.

Julien