kdevelop provider

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Oct 11 13:43:40 UTC 2010

On 11.10.10 14:27:14, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On 11.10.10 01:06:48, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > > Hi guys.
> > > I'd like to remove the kdeprovider plugin from KDevelop 4.1 because now
> > KDE
> > > is going to move into git.kde.org and all url's are going to be messed
> > up
> > > and I don't think it's worth it to have it broken in a couple of months,
> > so
> > > I'd prefer to release a properly working version for 4.2 when
> > > http://projects.kde.org is ready.
> > >
> > > The main reason of this email (besides notifying you that I'm going to
> > > remove it) is that I'm not sure the best way to go. Should I just remove
> > it
> > > from 4.1, merge to master and revert the change? (I want to have it on
> > > master for sure).
> >
> > I'm not sure how good an idea that really is. Looking at the current
> > state of conversion rules I'm not convinced that the main modules will
> > move within the next 4 months. Things might be a bit better for
> > extragear apps (or not as there's even less devs on them). Not to
> > mention that there's still no clear-cut-decision on split vs. monolithic
> > repos...
> >
> > So IMHO it would make sense to ship kdeprovider supporting svn in
> > KDevelop 4.1 and ship a plugin supporting both svn+git in 4.2. Its your
> > decision of course ;)
> Really? I thought they were just waiting to move the directories... Blog
> posts about git.kde.org sounded very optimistic to me :P I was just dragged
> into the general hype.

Well, the blog posts mostly concern the infrastructure, the other part
of the medal is writing the rules for conversion and the decision about
which modules get splitted and which don't. I don't follow the git repo
for the rules that closely but a quick look at the rule-lists suggest
that they're still not ready. Not to mention the myriads of apps in
extragear and playground. So while moving stuff from svn to git will be
open in the next few weeks/months I guess, I don't think the necessary
"technical details" will be ready by the time.

> I guess then the best will be to stay like this then.

At least I can't see how this would hurt. In worst case you could create
a kdeprovider-git plugin in a month or so and make sure it works with
4.1. That way people can just pick it up if they want to start out with
the git repos.


Day of inquiry.  You will be subpoenaed.

More information about the KDevelop-devel mailing list