Quick open suggestions

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Nov 25 20:45:14 UTC 2010

Benjamin Port, 25.11.2010:
> 2010/11/25 Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de>
>
> > Benjamin Port, 25.11.2010:
> > > Hello,
> > > After discussing with some KDevelop user and looking for <
> >
> > http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php/KDevelop_4/User_Testing_Sorte
> > d#
> >
> > > QuickOpen>, I can identify one problem, users want to use quick open
> > > more easely. That's why I propose this.
> > > A plugin to replace quickopen or for coexist and let the choice to use
> > > The main goal is to allow users to use only keyboard
> >
> > Start with a plugin, so we can see whether users really prefer that.
> >
> > > -Only one area for outline, and quick open.
> >
> > The thing is this: outline is also used for showing the current scope you
> > are
> > in, I find that often quite invaluable in big functions, if you don't see
> > the
> > rest of the scope you don't know what you are looking at (i.e. where your
> > cursor is).
> >
> > Though if you can merge this, it should be fine imo. Actually thinking
> > about
> > it you are right, the disctinction is mainly for the possible mouse
> > users, who
> > want to click in either lineedit and start searching. Having to edit the
> > scope
> > checkboxes by hand would be cumbersome for them, probably. But for
> > mouse-only
> > users it would make no difference.

> Ok, we can't merge outline and quick open. But at least, I think we need to
> rename it, lot of user didn't understand "outline".

Hm, outline is a very common term for that, what else did you want to use?

> > > -Only one shortcut to access it. And display shortcut on the text area.
> >
> > I greatly disagree. Outline and QuickOpen are different things and you
> > want to
> > access them quickly. Hence having two shortcuts is important and *must*
> > stay
> > this way, same for the other scopes (functions, files, classes, all).
> >
> > > -Quick access letter like QtCreator. Display help
> > >
> > >   -KCM module:
> > >     -parameter default comportment
> > >
> > >       -Select scope of default search (without access letter) and scope
> > >
> > > order
> > >
> > >     -parameter quick access letter:
> > >       ->Documentation (access)
> > >       ->Line (access current document line X)
> > >       ->Current document
> > >
> > > -> Symbol
> > >
> > >       ->All opened document
> > >
> > > ->File (switch to file)
> > > ->Class (access class)
> > > ->Methods (access method)
> > >
> > >       ->Current project
> > >
> > > ->File (open file)
> > > ->Class (access class)
> > > ->Methods (access method)
> > >
> > >       ->All project
> > >
> > > ->File (open file)
> > > ->Class (access class)
> > > ->Methods (access method)
> >
> > Can you explain all this? I don't get it...
>
> There is an indentation problem.

The problem is that you use HTML emails, can you please turn them off or
improve the text-only versions of your HTML emails? They are a mess.

> It's a way to configure the plugin you can associate a key with each kind
> of actions (a key can be assigned for multi item like current
> document->methods, class and current project->methods,class)

How is that different from a shortcut?

> I'm not sure is totally clear, I try to mock-up all of this tomorrow
> So with the correct indentation:
> A plugin to replace quickopen or for coexist and let the choice to use
> The main goal is to allow user to use only keyboard

Where can#t we not use the keyboard *right now*? I only use the keyboard to
interact with QuickOpen...

> -Only one area for outline, and quick open.
> -Only one shortcut to access it. And display shortcut on the text area.
> -Quick access letter like QtCreator. Display help
>   -KCM module:
>     -parameter default comportment
>       -Select scope of default search (without access letter) and scope
> order
>     -parameter quick access letter:
>       ->Documentation (access)
>       ->Line (access current document line X)
>       ->Current document
>          -> Symbol
>       ->All opened document
>          ->File (switch to file)
>          ->Class (access class)
>          ->Methods (access method)
>       ->Current project
>          ->File (open file)
>          ->Class (access class)
>          ->Methods (access method)
>       ->All project
>          ->File (open file)
>          ->Class (access class)
>          ->Methods (access method)

I don't know what you mean with:

- display help
- parameter default comportment
- scope order (or what should be configured there)
- parameter quick access letter

and below that, it a list of actions? Or a structure of how results should be
shown?

But yes, maybe a mockup can help me understnad what that is.

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de