Memory usage when opening Linux Kernel in KDevelop

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.de
Sun Nov 21 18:20:13 UTC 2010

On Sunday 21 November 2010 00:02:13 Milian Wolff wrote:
>   On Saturday 20 November 2010 23:33:57 David Nolden wrote:
> > I don't remember anything about rxx::allocator, i guess its just the
> > default for C++.
>
> For the cpplang plugin? But the question is *why*, really - to me it looks
> like one of Robertos "I write my own allocator" - "Why?" - "Because I
> can!"  moments... I'll send him a mail asking him for the reasons.
I remembered to have talked with him about that in Berlin.

Its just the same I do in our company, some simple allocator which bundles the
small allocations into big banks.

(like pool allocation or zone allocation)

The only difference between my company allocator and rxx is, rxx never calls
destructors on free.

I think it is a good thing to have, given you allocate a real large number of
small objects which need to be freed together anyway, not sure what "no
reclaim..." means, I thought all memory would be freed after parsing again.

Greetings
Christoph