Memory usage when opening Linux Kernel in KDevelop

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Nov 20 15:18:28 UTC 2010

Hey all,

I've run KDevelop through massif when loading the Linux Kernel, and to me it
looks quite OK (peak at ~500mb). I still have some questions though, and will
rerun this with more snapshots. Anyhow, when looking at the snapshot / peaks
we already find some interesting things. One is: Is it to be expected that most
of the memory is allocated in KDevelop::Buckets (>30%)? It's too bad that
this
class it not documented at all (David, could you do that please?). Looking at
this:

    void initialize(uint monsterBucketExtent);

I assume it's only for monster buckets (what are those again exactly?). I
assumed that was only required for *really* big files (like the
phpfunctions.php in the PHP plugin), I doubt there is any thing like that in
the linux Kernel. Well - maybe, but why is are those buckets so persistent
across snapshots...

Also, why is the custom rxx_allocator used? And what does this mean:

> Block size is currently 64k, *allocated space is not reclaimed,*

It's the number one memory hog in the peaks.

--
Milian Wolff
milianw at zedat.fu-berlin.de
http://milianw.de