Patch: TODO highlighting in comments

Dmitry Risenberg dmitry.risenberg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 18:05:13 UTC 2010

Got some new features in Problem Reporter:

1. Selecting scope of displayed errors: you can now choose between
displaying errors from current document only, from all open documents,
from documents in a current project or from documents in all open
projects.
2. Enabling/disabling showing problems from imported (included in case
of C++) files. By default errors in imported files are not shown.
3. Selecting severity of displayed errors: only display errors with
given severity or higher (Hint < Warning < Error).
4. Switching autoresizing columns when errors are added into the
widget on/off, so that long error descriptions won't make the last
columns run past the screen end.

I'm not sure whether "Force Full Update" action is worth keeping and
what its semantics should be. As for now, I made it re-parse all
documents in current scope (see \1), and do it recursively if problems
from imported files are to be shown. Re-parsing everything is rather
slow when there are many documents in scope, especially with imports.
I'm not sure if there are valid use cases for this action, except a
case when some files change that are external to the project/session,
for example a library is updated, but this isn't a common one. Another
possibility could be providing on-demand parsing when the user
switches off on-line parsing, but AFAIK now there is only an option to
switch the parser off completely.

Here's the code (not making merge requests because there's still work to do):
http://gitorious.org/~dmitryrisenberg/kdevelop/dmitryrisenberg-kdevplatform/commits/todos
http://gitorious.org/kdevelop/dmitryrisenberg-kdevelop

What's on the plans:
- Make the list of "todo" words configurable.
- Save user settings for scope, severity, etc. between sessions.
- Filtering errors by component (parser, preprocessor) - this doesn't
seem necessary as long as there is filtering by severity.

Suggestions on other features and feedback are welcome.

Dmitry Risenberg