Experiment: Browser-like Tabs

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Sun May 30 18:30:40 UTC 2010

Hi,

When working with kdevelop I have always the problem that after some
time I loose the
overview over the opened files.
A possible solution to this might be to make the Tabs behave like we
know it from
web browsers:
(1) a normal click on a link navigates to the new url in the current tab
(2) entering a new url navigates to that url in the current tab
(3) opening a new tab is an explicit user action
(4) holding a shortcut (ctrl) an clicking a link opens a new tab and
navigates there to the the link url
(5) there can be two tabs with the same url opened

I implemented 1, 2, 3 and 5 in an experimental branch:
browser-like-tabs branch of:
http://gitorious.org/~nsams/kdevelop/nsams-kdevplatform
http://gitorious.org/~nsams/kdevelop/nsams-kdevelop
(use Window -> New Tab to create a new tab)

What do you think about it?

Niko