Dirty files

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon May 17 20:16:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Esben Mose Hansen <kde at mosehansen.dk>wrote:

> On Sunday 16 May 2010 22:37:39 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Sure, but one needs to know the limits too. Unfortunately KDirWatch is
> > not well documented wrt. its limits.
>
> If KDirWatch uses inotify (which is likely), then the limit is 8192 on my
> machine to be exact. From reading the code, there seems to be no other
> limits.
> That would almost be a problem for kdebase, with 4000+ cpp+h files and
> possibly that many generated files of assorted kinds. However, inotify can
> be
> set to watch the directories that the files reside in instead, drastically
> reducing the need for watchers, at the price of getting some events we are
> not
> interested in.
>
> I can find no limits for the less like case of using libfam/famd.
>
> --
> Kind regards, Esben
>
> --

So who should track these changes?
- language support? (here there's no file structure whatsoever)
- project support? (there are involved files for which the parser doesn't
know anything)

Here I guess the proper thing to do would be to let the language support to
watch each included directory and just check the dirty directories
recursively, that might make kdevelop a little slow while system upgrades
but other than that I can't see any stopper.

Aleix