Git repositories created and how to work with them

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Tue May 4 19:39:14 UTC 2010

>> And about buildability: The problem is that we have a dependency
>> between kdevplatform and kdevelop. Usually a specific version of
>> kdevelop is buildable and runnable only with one specific version of
>> kdevplatform, which makes "git bisect" very problematic, and makes it
>> hard to find a buildable configuration. The solution to this would be
>> putting kdevplatform and kdevelop into the same repository, so they
>> can be changed within one commit.
>
> Thats not really a good solution. I'd rather have kdevplatform not change
> every other day. In particular the libraries should start to move towards
> being stable and not changing that much. Apart from that we can easily
> adjust the version numbers to reflect such changes and make the requirement
> explicit so you'll get a notice during the cmake run that kdevplatform is
> too old (or too new).

I've looked into git submodules and they suck. But one thing is interesting:
it tracks the revision of the submodule.
In our case we could have a kdevelop/.kdevplatform-revision file that gets
updated (manually) at least after every incompatible change in kdevplatform.
Given that this file is updated correctly git bisect would work again.
(well, one
still needs a script that reads that file and checksout that
kdevplatform revision)

what do you think?

Niko