Project layout on gitorious.org

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Mar 6 09:14:05 UTC 2010

On 02.03.10 02:18:19, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > I know its a bit early, but this way we have enough time to discuss
> > this:
> >
> > How do we want to layout kdevelop-related stuff on gitorious? Gitorious
> > has a two-level grouping: Project and Repository. So each project can
> > have multiple repositories (see http://gitorious.org/svn2git/)
>
> I'd prefer to have just one "project" for KDevelop.
> There we'd have
> - kdevplatform.git
> - kdevelop.git
> - quanta.git
> - kdevelop-pg-qt.git
> - plugin1.git
> - plugin2.git
> - plugin3.git
> - anything_else_we_support.git
>
> Rationale behind this layout:
> - it's nice for people outside the project to be able to get all the code from
> one place
> - we'll have to promote only one place with KDevelop in gitorious and it will
> be obvious that every repository in that place is stable, official, supported.
> etc.
> - it'll be "no-brainer" layout. once we have some code that we use, support
> and/or distribute (like kdevelop-pg-qt), we'll drop it in KDevelop project
> without additional thinking
> - I don't think we'll have too many plugins maintained separately from
> KDevelop, we don't have enough manpower to maintain more than 10 other
> "official" plugins, libs and tools...
> - those plugins that are currently in kdevelop-plugins really belong to
> quanta.git, so the number of additional repositories besides
> kdevplatform/kdevelop/quanta is going to be even less

I'd like to have quanta in a separate project and along with it all the
web-related plugins that are supported. Those will be much different
from what a C++ IDE needs and it would IMHO be better to group them
separately. Additionally it'll give web-devs a single place to find
their stuff (as kdevplatform will probably be a system-install).

> The svn's playground/kdevelop4-extra-plugins should be abandoned completely.
> People will use their own git repositories for plugins in development. With
> git it's easy to collaborate on any repository, so I don't think we need to
> bother about having a central place for them.

Agree.

You have no real enemies.