Project layout on gitorious.org

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Mar 2 08:13:08 UTC 2010

On 02.03.10 08:52:02, Niko Sams wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 01:18, Alexander Dymo <alexander.dymo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >I'd prefer to have just one "project" for KDevelop.
> > There we'd have
> > - kdevplatform.git
> > - kdevelop.git
> > - quanta.git
> > - kdevelop-pg-qt.git
> > - plugin1.git
> > - plugin2.git
> > - plugin3.git
> > - anything_else_we_support.git
> Hmm... a user wouldn't look for quanta in a KDevelop project.

Yeah, I think quanta should be separate.

> But well
> - a user that doesn't know
> how kdevelop and quanta are related won't look for the git repository at all.
> The good thing about this proposal is that there is one place where
> all active and maintained projects
> can be found.

Well, I'm basically concerned about the number of plugins showing up
there. If we have 10 repositories under KDevelop it starts to get
cluttered on the project page.

> > The svn's playground/kdevelop4-extra-plugins should be abandoned completely.
> > People will use their own git repositories for plugins in development. With
> > git it's easy to collaborate on any repository, so I don't think we need to
> > bother about having a central place for them.
> We need something comparable to the current list of plugins in
> playground, so people can get
> an overview of plugins that have been started.
> Maybe it's already enough to have a wiki page somewhere (techbase or gitorious).

A wiki page makes sense, especially since it makes it easy to document
the state of the plugin as well.

> Or they could all be in a kdevelop-developers team.

That might make sense as one can easily see all projects that a team
collaborates on. We could even use that to define the
maintained/unmaintained status of separate plugins, by adding removing
the team from the main git repository of that plugin.

Reply hazy, ask again later.