[rohan at rohanprabhu.com: Tendency : A KDevelop plugin for testing Network Applications, proposal for GSoC]

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Mar 3 17:16:01 UTC 2010

Hi,

Could somebody please put this up on techbase (or wherever the ideas are
kept this year)? Thanks.

Andreas

----- Forwarded message from Rohan Prabhu <rohan at rohanprabhu.com> -----

Subject: Tendency : A KDevelop plugin for testing Network Applications,
	proposal for GSoC
From: Rohan Prabhu <rohan at rohanprabhu.com>
To: apaku at gmx.de

Dear Sir,
I am Rohan Prabhu, an Engineering Student from Bangalore, India, currently
in my second year. I am an aspirant for the Google Summer of Code [gsoc]
program for the year of 2010. I don't participate much in the mailing list
for gsoc, but whenever I do, I do with the very same email id you are
recieving from [rohan at rohanprabhu.com], and use the name 'Rohan Prabhu'. I
am sincerly interested in the KDE project [have been a user for 4 years now]
and I have an idea from my side for my gsoc project/proposal. I have a good
knowledge of C++ and Qt [pardon if my self-certification comes forward as
smugness :D]. As must be obvious by the state of this document that this is
not an official proposal, but just a submission for your kind review.

I propose the development of a plugin for KDevelop, called 'Tendency' which
allows developers to test Network Applications. When developers make a
server software, they generally have to make a small client also, which does
nothing more than just pushing data in a format that satisfies the protocol
of the application. I want to create a plugin which makes it easy to send
such data ovevr the network. The plugin not only supports the sending of
data, but makes it just as easy to apply filters to different kinds of data
[like say, a checksum on a local file, or a base64 encoding of the contents
of a file] and then send it over the network.

Tendency would also involve the creation of an easy way to define the format
of the data in terms of fields and the relationships between them. For
example, let's take the case of a simple protocol, which contains two
fields: size and data. They would be spread as follows:

+---------+----------------+
| Size(8) |   Data (n)     |
+---------+----------------+

While using Tendency, one can not only define such fields, but also, can
define the relationship between the two fields. Here, clearly, the size
field can be set to 'sizeof(file:data)', so that whenever any data is
loaded, the size field is automatically set to the required parameter. Also,
double clicking on the 'Data' field, would cause a dialog to open, where one
can choose to send a data file [or a specific portion of it] by selecting a
file from the 'Open File' dialog. One can also apply filters to it like
'base64_encode', 'md5_checksum' or 'enc_rot13' and then use that data.

Also, in the later stages, I wish to add a small framework which would help
developers use unit testing to test various cases with tendency to check the
accurate working of their application. If you like my idea and would like to
mentor me, I'd be most thankful. Your reply is awaited, and I cannot thank
you enough for taking the time to read this message till now.

I sincerely thank you again, and hope for a response from you [I can hope
for a positive one.. can't I? :)].

Thankfully yours,
Rohan Prabhu
[rohan at rohanprabhu.com]
[#thirtySeven on irc]

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Good news from afar can bring you a welcome visitor.