Request for feature freeze exemption: "New File" action in Filesystem toolview context menu

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 23:05:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 23:45, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 02.03.10 23:26:37, Niko Sams wrote:

>> > I'm undecided, because:
>> >
>> > a) this is a really small addition and won't cause any harm
>> > b) BUT I want to avoid getting an excemption request every other day for
>> > a little piece here and a little piece there.
>> >
>> > So I'd like to see some input from the rest of the team, if nobody
>> > replies until the end of the week I'll take the right as maintainer and
>> > deny the excemption as to not create a precedent.
>>
>> Projects and Sessions are relatively complicated to set up.
>
> Then we need to make that easier, but I can't see how to make setting up
> a project easier than opening the directory.
Hm, I did use a wrong word. Let me explain differently:
Opening huge projects (as some of my web projects are) takes time,
parsing the whole
project even more. The benefit this gives (quickopen etc) is only
important when doing more
work on a project.

> After all, KDevelop is not
> just an editor to throw a file at.
Do I really have to start kate for that when I have already a kdevelop
instance running?
With the Filesystem view I can use KDevelop as a text editor.

>> For that reason using Filesystem view should be considered as an
>> important feature: Currently I use for web stuff where I don't have
>> setup a project Quanta3.
>> Actually I have never tried KDevelop4 for that
>
> Maybe you should try it? I've never ever used a filesystem view in KDev3
> or KDev4, but then again I'm using it mostly for C/C++ :)
I will :D

Niko