[kdevplatform] d3af706 Increase KDE requirement to 4.4 to fix the build f

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jun 15 18:09:22 UTC 2010

On 15.06.10 16:58:35, David Nolden wrote:
> That is bad, but I think the right ones to blame are the kate developers
> here, because we simply have no proper path to go available.

This is completely useless finger-pointing. It doesn't matter who failed
to maintain which codebase. katepart is not your code (unless you want
to fork it) so you have to accept that their developers do whatever they
deem best for their codebase. And frankly I'm with them on this one, the
person who wrote the smart-codebase doesn't have time, nobody else is
able to maintain it (in the katepart-dev group) and its causing problems
in a _single-threaded_ app.

> KDevelop won't work properly with KDE 4.5 if we don't adapt it during the
> development cycle of KDE 4.5, and thus we inherently cannot wait for KDE 4.5
> to be released just to start adapting KDevelop _then_.

Bullshit, it works well enough with KDE 4.5 to be usable. Sure it
crashes every now and then (and yes more often than with kde 4.4 maybe),
but there are plenty of other things where it can crash.

> Maybe we should just split the development line into two paths:
> One towards KDevelop 4.0.1 which can depend on KDE 4.4, and the trunk which
> should go towards KDevelop 4.1, and which should depend on KDE 4.5.

Uhm, thats exactly what we have right now, KDevelop 4.0 branch depends
on KDE4.3. master will at some point depend on 4.5 (and I pledge that
this point of time is _after_ releasing of 4.5.0)

> Those who cannot check out kdelibs trunk can work in the KDevelop 4.0.1
> branch, and the changes can at random points be ported upwards to trunk.

The point is that 4.0 branch is not going to get features (by
definition).

Expect the worst, it's the least you can do.