[kdevplatform] d3af706 Increase KDE requirement to 4.4 to fix the build f

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 15 14:58:35 UTC 2010

That is bad, but I think the right ones to blame are the kate developers
here, because we simply have no proper path to go available.

KDevelop won't work properly with KDE 4.5 if we don't adapt it during the
development cycle of KDE 4.5, and thus we inherently cannot wait for KDE 4.5
to be released just to start adapting KDevelop _then_.

Maybe we should just split the development line into two paths:
One towards KDevelop 4.0.1 which can depend on KDE 4.4, and the trunk which
should go towards KDevelop 4.1, and which should depend on KDE 4.5.

Those who cannot check out kdelibs trunk can work in the KDevelop 4.0.1
branch, and the changes can at random points be ported upwards to trunk.

We could also call them 4.1 and 4.2. Whether we have enough features to
warrant a new minor release simply doesn't matter, I'm sure users will also
be happy with a minor release that simply keeps the app running in a changin
environment.

Greetings, David

Am 15.06.2010 16:32 schrieb "Nicolás Alvarez" <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com>:

On 6/15/10, David Nolden <zwabel at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Yeah looks like I have a different opinion...
Except many people *can't* develop for the next version in master if
it requires KDE 4.5.

I won't get KDE 4.5 until it officially arrives to Debian. KDE 4.4
wasn't available in Debian Squeeze until 4.4.3 was already released,
and I don't expect them to be any faster for 4.5.

Compiling a beta version of KDE from source and installing it on my
*only* computer is not an option.

--
Nicolas