[kdevplatform] d3af706 Increase KDE requirement to 4.4 to fix the build f

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 15 13:55:44 UTC 2010

2010/6/15 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> IMHO you're wrong, or rather you didn't grasp yet how one usually works
> with git. The point is that you can just let us know the public branch
> where this code resides and we can easily grab it, merge it locally into a
> branch and use it, reporting bugs or fixing issues. There's no necessity to
> put this into master and hence causing all that pain for normal users that
> use master (for whatever reason).

Yeah looks like I have a different opinion here. IMO master should be
"the central place" which shows where the next version of the
application is heading. Anything that is for sure going to be in the
next version, and that is ready feature-wise (eg. compiles, runs and
works), should be in there, so a developer can check it out, and can
also develop for the next version, without having to consider a random
amout of branches that he has to merge if he wants to avoid merge
conflicts at a later point.

It should be the central place where all the development comes
together, and not particularly optimized for the users. Maybe that
attitude is a little "too svn-ish", but I want to see what's going on
without having to track 5 different branches, which even might be
incompatible with each other.

And this particulary patch is even a much more severe case. It changes
the whole architecture, and to develop something future-proof, each
other developer would have to merge the branch into their own
branches, which essentially makes it the "real" trunk anyway.

Btw. 1 crash in 5 hours is not particulary good. On my machine with
kdelibs trunk, it also crashes about once in a few hours because of
smart-ranges, while at work the pre-hack-sprint version of kdelibs it
crashes maybe once a day.

Greetings, David