How to get the Project Dashboard right

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Jun 11 23:48:49 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 02.05.10 15:32:58, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:14 PM, David Nolden <zwabel at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > > 2010/5/2 Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org>:
> > So do you guys all agree that we prefer to create smth custom instead of
> > using plasma?
>
> No, definetly not. At least not before having tried it out.
>
> And I certainly don't want us to write our own plugin to get rss and
> another to get the review-board stuff and yet another for X and just one
> more for Y. In particular not if other people have already written them.
>
> What I'd like to have is a dashboard where I can easily move around the
> elements to re-order them by drag'n'drop, I can resize them in some way
> to make one a bit larger and reduce the size of another (this is one of
> the major problems I have at work with jira's dashboard) and I want an
> easy way to add new ones to it (without having to go through some config
> dialog).
>
> I see three ways of doing it:
>
> a) re-using what plasma can give us
> b) using just QGV
> c) using plain qwidgets
>
> And thats also the order in which I'd try to get something going,
> because it allows to write as little code as possible (if not, then
> the design of libplasma has completely failed and thats rather bad for a
> kdelibs api with such thorough review).
>
> HTML is completely out of the question, in particular because most of us
> are C++ developers and not HTML/Web Developers. Its not just about
> somebody writing some code that works like a dashboard, its also about
> being able to maintain that in the future.
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> You're currently going through a difficult transition period called "Life."
>
> --

Just to have you up to date:
I created a branch for the dashboard too, there I'm using the newspaper
containment and it's already working pretty well. For now it's just a new
plugin.
Next step: we need to make it possible to add applets from within KDevelop
plugins. To do that, I'd like to add a new controller and some architecture
like the one we have for tools, that way we just link against plasma on some
specific plugins if any (provided plugins will be able to be regular
QWidgets, QGraphicItems and Plasma::Applets).

http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdev_dashboard1.png

Cheers!
Aleix