Kdevelop editing issues

Konstantin Karganov karganov at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 18:53:47 UTC 2010

>> 1. "Save All" toolbar button
>>  that's awful it is not available, when having dozens of files open in
>> the editor one can easily forget to save all modified files before the
>> build, and that's a pain to save each file individually. IMHO,
>> must-have feature
>
> It is available, you just have to add it yourself.

I think this feature is basic enough to be available by default.

>> 2. turning off backup files
>> currently when working in kdevelop editor it creates *.h~ and *.cpp~
>> backup files on each save. I don't like having junk files on my disk
>> and I have version control for change history, but I can't turn this
>> off. I guess there should be an option.
>
> See the editor settings.

Looked for settings twice, didn't find anything related.

>> 7. not showing matching bracket in source code
>> I suggest that when the cursor is on bracket the matching brackets
>> pair should be highlighted, as in Eclipse (or better ;) ), currently
>> it is not and that's sad..
>
> Works fine for me, but its slightly differently than in eclipse wrt. the
> cursor position.
For me it's not working at all, nothing is highlighted and thus
closing a bunch of brackets at the end of function call can easily
lead to syntax error if brackets are miscounted.

>> 8. Projects and Classes views should follow the current file position
>> again, other IDEs do that.
>
> No they don't, at least not by default. We had that in KDev3 and it was
> horribly unusable and IIRC only used by a very small number of users.
> There's a button to sync manually though.

I guess this button might be checkable, i.e. click once - turn feature
on, click again - turn off.
But I agree, that's a matter of habit actually...

> See Settings->Configure Shortcuts for the ones that exist. IMHO having
> shortcuts for parent types and child types is not necessary, thats not
> something you do so often to warrant a shortcut.

Actually, I do :)
In Eclipse that is Ctrl-T, and when working with big class hierarchies
(especially if not very well familiar with the hierarchy) it helps a
lot.

--
Best regards,
Konstantin.