Yet another debugger problem

Victor Carvalho victor.carvalho at cedrofinances.com.br
Tue Jul 13 14:32:42 UTC 2010

On 07/13/2010 11:23 AM, Victor Carvalho wrote:
> Hi Millian and folks,
>
> Here on work im facing constantly this bug when using kdevelop to
> debug my projects. Somehow, when debugging, when I do a "step over" or
> any command, the session stop responding. I can see the current line
> arrow where I last stepped, but any command I send doesn't have any
> effect. The Run menu has all itens enabled (which means the debbuger
> state as not running?), and if I press the pause button on gdb toolbox
> constantly
> all commands I've previously sended run in sequence without any
> interaction of me, but this doesn't works every time. I'm sending an
> output log from kdevelop with the moment this happened. Right on the
> begin of the log you can see that I've issued some "next" commands and
> got no response. Then I've pressed the pause button and from there on
> everything got executed. It's like the command buffer not being sent
> to gdb at some point.

Looking at the output log I've seen that I'm getting an exception from
gdb pretty printing when trying to format a string:

kdevelop(13532)/kdevelop (gdb debugger) GDBDebugger::GDB::processLine:
GDB output:  "(gdb) "
kdevelop(13532)/kdevelop (gdb debugger) GDBDebugger::GDB::processLine:
GDB output:  "~"Traceback (most recent call last):\n""
kdevelop(13532)/kdevelop (gdb debugger) GDBDebugger::GDB::processLine:
GDB output:  "~"  File
\"/usr/local/share/apps/kdevgdb/printers/libstdcxx.py\", line 561, in
to_string\n""
kdevelop(13532)/kdevelop (gdb debugger) GDBDebugger::GDB::processLine:
GDB output:  "~"    return self.val['_M_dataplus']['_M_p'].string
(encoding, length = len)\n""
kdevelop(13532)/kdevelop (gdb debugger) GDBDebugger::GDB::processLine:
GDB output:  "~"RuntimeError: Cannot access memory at address 0x35fffff4\n""

Could this be the problem that is making kdevelop stop responding?