KDevelop 4.0.1 release

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jul 6 11:01:16 UTC 2010

On 06.07.10 11:24:52, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> as I'm willing to exhibit my power as release manager (afaik everyone agreed
> on that, right?), I want to get started with planning a first bug fix release.
>
> I will compile the stable branches and make sure they are working as expected,
> but considering that only bug fixes got in there, we don't need any freeze
> period, right?

Well, I'd put in a complete freeze for one day, so there's no chance of
somebody putting in a commit while you're working on the release. But
feel free to try without that...

> So Andreas, it would be cool if you could explain me what I have to do, except
> testing. What I can come up with is:
>
> - create a git tag for 4.0.1 / 1.0.1

Right, preferably with git tag -a and a nice message :)

> - incorporate translations (how do I do that?)

I suggest to look at kdesdk/scripts/createtarball (from kde 4.5 or trunk)
it already has everything necessary to checkout translations properly
(including only checking out those that have enough translated text). The
only thing it lacks is support for checking out a git tag from a git
repository, but maybe you can easily put that in. Else the amarok people
should have something.

> - create tarball and put on ftp.kde.org (how do I do the latter? whom do I
> have to nag for permissions?)

Sysadmins in general. I suggest to ask in #kde-sysadmins or file a sysadmin
request and attach the tarballs. If you have problems finding somebody I
still have access so feel free to send the tarballs to me directly.

The naming of the tarballs should be clear, I've also always included a
.md5sum file for each tarball (and published the sums in the
dot-announcement/blog-post) just in case a silent-update is necessary.

The path for the tarballs on the ftp server should be
stable/kdevelop/4.0.1/src

> - write an email to the packager list

This should be done a few days in advance to the "public" announcement so
that you have a chance of doing "last minute" bugfixes for build-errors or
so that show up when creating packages for distro's.

On the actual release date I think you should send a mail to
kde-announce-apps (I never did that but only as I didn't see that list
existed).

And then you'd have to think about wether you want a story on the dot or
not, if you do there's a submission form there (you'll have to get a
login). Make sure to note your login id and the date you want the story
published in the message body. A link to the tarballed packages would be
good too (should be http://download.kde.org/stable/kdevelop/4.0.1/src/).

I suggest to give the dot-editors at least 3 days, if possible a week time
for editing and putting it online. You can ask in kde-promo to see a
preview once they've done most of the editing. Thats also where you should
be able to find someone to nag in case it gets close to the date and
nothing happened yet.

Feel free to put all this into our wiki for the future.

Bridge ahead.  Pay troll.