Make/Install (as root) problems

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Jul 5 16:15:17 UTC 2010

On Monday 05 July 2010, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 05.07.10 18:23:44, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > On Monday 05 July 2010, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Had a quick look at the diff and I don't really see any problem
> > > with this. Regarding the "runs longer with cmake", you could
> > > just skip the dependency-check for the make install phase by
> > > using make install/fast. Might need an extension of the
> > > IMakeBuilder interface so cmake support can tell it to run
> > > install/fast target as superuser.
> >
> > It would be probably better to have an installAsRoot() method in
> > the interface, but that is not BC.
>
> We don't care about BC for master.

I didn't know this. I'll look if this would really make sense (it was
just an idea).

> > It is possible to configure it to not ask for a password.
>
> Right, but its not the default and its not something that "ordinary"
> users should use (from a security pov). We need to support that
> use-case, but I just see this is possible relatively easily as sudo
> provides a way to read the password from stdin (unlike ssh).
>
> > 1) I don't have kdesudo. What is that? I heard it might be kubuntu
> > specific, but it is not in openSuse's install and it doesn't get
> > installed if you build kde from source.
>
> It runs sudo and provides a KDE GUI on top of it. In particular it
> allows the user to type its password and stores that in kwallet
> (IIRC) in a safe way. Its developed by Kubuntu developers, but at
> least also packaged in Debian.
>
> > 2) kdesu doesn't work at all. Yes, it should be fixed, but I didn't
> > get there yet, mainly because I used sudo so far (eg. to do
> > install from kdesvn-build).

These all confirm that there is no one solution that fits all for the
problem. Different systems have different configurations, so I think the
best is to offer the user a choice. This is anyway quite cryptic for a
regular user, and the real solution might be something like KAuth, but I
don't know how it really works. That would hide the os details from the
user.

> ~/src/build/kdevelop>sudo -t -c make install
> usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -L | -V
> usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-p prompt]
> usage: sudo -l[l] [-AknS] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-U
> username] [-u username|#uid] [-g groupname|#gid] [command]
> usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-C fd] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u
> username|#uid] [-g groupname|#gid] [VAR=value] [-i|-s]
>             [<command>]
> usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-C fd] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u
> username|#uid] file ...
>
> Same thing when only using one of the two options, so both need to be
> removed when using plain sudo.

Again, it seems there are different sudo variants around . :( I will
remove the options in case of sudo.

Andras