Make/Install (as root) problems

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Jul 5 15:23:44 UTC 2010

On Monday 05 July 2010, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > PS: If you wonder, why isn't there a merge request: after fiddling
> > a lot with gitorious and not able to find how to create it, I got
> > the info that I might have a need for my own clone. Well, i don't
> > have it, sorry. Here is the diff instead.
>
> Well, apparently that worked out now :)

I'm unsure I can do it again. Steve Kelly shown me how to do... :)

> Had a quick look at the diff and I don't really see any problem with
> this. Regarding the "runs longer with cmake", you could just skip
> the dependency-check for the make install phase by using make
> install/fast. Might need an extension of the IMakeBuilder interface
> so cmake support can tell it to run install/fast target as
> superuser.

It would be probably better to have an installAsRoot() method in the
interface, but that is not BC.

As for the other mail, I'll reply here, as it is related:

> > Add the possibility to run sudo, not only kdesu/kdesudo.
>
> How does it work if sudo asks for a password then? Thats the reason
> we require kdesu/kdesudo as all standard sudo-installs require
> providing the password of the current user.

It is possible to configure it to not ask for a password. If the user
has other configuration, it can use that one, still:
1) I don't have kdesudo. What is that? I heard it might be kubuntu
specific, but it is not in openSuse's install and it doesn't get
installed if you build kde from source.

2) kdesu doesn't work at all. Yes, it should be fixed, but I didn't get
there yet, mainly because I used sudo so far (eg. to do install from
kdesvn-build).

> > Don't pass 'make install' together to sudo, it seems to fail, while
> > separately works.
>
> That part I don't understand.

Without this change I get an error when trying to install as root from
within kdevelop:
sudo: make install command not found

It probably passes "make install" as the command option to sudo, while
the command itself is "make".
I can reproduce on a konsole as well:
sudo "make install"
sudo: make install: command not found

while "sudo make install" works.

> Also it doesn't seem you've tested
> this, at least my sudo doesn't have a clue about a -t or -c option.

Obviously I tested, as I use sudo to install KDE :). I can remove those
options when passing to sudo, as they are optional (hm, -t might be even
wrong indeed, -c is acceptable there).

Andras