GSoC again

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jan 28 08:38:25 UTC 2010

On 28.01.10 01:20:28, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On 27.01.10 19:37:38, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > just announced on the -soc lists, Google will again do a SoC. This year
> > > with apparently slightly changed timelines:
> > >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f
> > >
> > > So we need to find out wether
> > >
> > > a) we want to participate
> >
> > Frankly, the 3 last years that I took part (as mentor) didn't benefit us
> > much in the sense of working code or even better contributors that stay
> > around. Most of the code that was written in past SoC's (except the C++
> > ones) is now abandoned basically (xunit, veritas, git, bazaar, python).
> > So if we do participate, I suggest to either find students that we know
> > already and that are probably going to stick around, or to find projects
> > that are part of something that we already maintain anyway (improving
> > svn/cvs, c++ support, make support, cmake, gdb etc.).
> >

> well, I think that my gsoc's were not that bad. The cmake support is working
> great and we're just not mature enough to push kross plugins but they are
> working too.

I guess I wasn't clear on that, but I (mentally) excluded yours and
David's GSoC's from the above paragraph.

> > > b) we can participate (i.e. who would mentor)
> >
> > I'd be willing to co-mentor a student, but being a "full-time mentor" is
> > not going to work with my spare-time-schedule.
> >
> It would be a pitty if we could not do all gsoc's due to lack of mentors..
> :/

Yeap, but it would be just as bad if someone says he's going to be
mentoring and then doesn't have the time to do it properly and the
student fails due to that.

Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.