GSoC again

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jan 27 21:44:32 UTC 2010

On 27.01.10 19:37:38, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> just announced on the -soc lists, Google will again do a SoC. This year
> with apparently slightly changed timelines:
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f
>
> So we need to find out wether
>
> a) we want to participate

Frankly, the 3 last years that I took part (as mentor) didn't benefit us
much in the sense of working code or even better contributors that stay
around. Most of the code that was written in past SoC's (except the C++
ones) is now abandoned basically (xunit, veritas, git, bazaar, python).
So if we do participate, I suggest to either find students that we know
already and that are probably going to stick around, or to find projects
that are part of something that we already maintain anyway (improving
svn/cvs, c++ support, make support, cmake, gdb etc.).

> b) we can participate (i.e. who would mentor)

I'd be willing to co-mentor a student, but being a "full-time mentor" is
not going to work with my spare-time-schedule.

Your depth of comprehension may tend to make you lax in worldly ways.