Problems with new session support

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Jan 27 17:36:48 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, 27. January 2010 18:27:48 David Nolden wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 27 Januar 2010 18:17:15 schrieb Milian Wolff:
> > On Monday, 18. January 2010 14:28:28 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'll be filing bugreports about this tomorrow or wednesday, but wanted
> > > to check here wether some of this is intentional:
> > >
> > > Is the session name prepended to the project list? That would explain
> > > why I have a "default" session which is not automatically opened when
> > > "default" now that the session config dialog doesn't exist anymore?
> >
> > Apparently the session name is most of the time just empty. Only the
> >  default session has any name at all (i.e. "default"). I just wanted to
> > add a "--sessions"  switch to KDevelop that would output all available
> > session names, and well - all my sessions have an empty name... The
> > exception is the "default" one.
> >
> > We should at least give incremental names like "Session #1" or similar,
> > so they are easily selectable... I'll now change my patch for now so that
> > it outputs the projects in that sessions and the ID, since that's
> > apprently also supported by the existing "-s" switch.
>
> I think it would be ugly to have "Session 1 - Projects", "Session 2 -
> Projects" in the menu, as the "Session X" says nothing at all, it would
>  just clutter the menu.
>
> If anyone has a "default" session he should delete that, it is just an
> artifact of the old session support. The real default session is always the
> one that was used last.
>
> If you want your sessions to have names, you can simply use "Rename
>  Session" to give it a name, and from then on you can also use the
>  command-line "-s" switch to pick a specific session by name.

And for that I would need to start every single one of my sessions, just to
give them a name. This totally blows imo... I'd like to have the old dialog
back...

And note: I have nearly always more than one KDevelop instance running (with
different sessions of course) and this also is utterly unsupported right now.
Having the --sessions switch will help, but I'd still like to see a way to
start a session from inside KDevelop without it automatically closing my last
instance!

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de