more ui polishing: working sets

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Jan 15 20:51:45 UTC 2010

On Friday 15 January 2010 18:49:08 Sam S. wrote:
> Hi again...
>
> ...does no one like the proposal? (It's ok if you don't... but pls
> tell me... :-))
>
> I've now also uploaded a detailed breakdown into individual change
> suggestions (URL see previous mail), so you can more easily express
> you opinion about specific parts of it...
>
> The reason that I'm bringing the whole thing up is that I think it
> would be a sensible thing to include in KDevelop 4.0 (which will
> apparently go into feature freeze soon)... Many new users will try
> this release, and the first impression counts. The UI should be
> polished, and easy to understand without doing lots of trial & error
> or having to read the user manual (which doesn't even exist yet, as
> far as I can tell).
>
> Especially David (as you seem to be the author of the working sets
> functionality), what do you think? Any chance of seeing this is 4.0?
>
> If you like my ideas but won't have enough time before the resease,
> what about at least implementing this subset of mostly trivial
> changes:
>
>    II. working set indicators
>          1. draw button background only on mouseover
>    IV. floating "tooltip" dialogs
>         i. header bar
>               2. show large icon + title instead of icon inside button
>                      2. append the string "(current)" in case of
>                         active working set
>         ii. buttons
>               2. rename "Close Working Set" button to "Close" and
>                  move to right of header bar
>               3. rename "Open Working Set" button to "Switch to" and
>                  move to right of header bar
>               4. rename "Delete" button to "Remove"
>                     1. also show in case of active working set!
>               5. move "Add All" and "Substract All" buttons from
>                  header bar to "Documents:" line
>                     1. rename to "add all to current" and "substract
>                        all to current"
>                     2. don't show in case of active working set (not
>                        even in greyed-out form)

First up: wow, these are great workingsets and I think I like most if not all
of what you propose. If we all agree on at least the basic stuff (in the black
box) I'll start to implement some of those things ASAP. The icons are nice
(but don't work with dark imo, the contrast is too less). But still, better
than some random icons imo...

What I don't understand is the part about dolphin-like hover-actions, care to
elaborate?

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de