more ui polishing: working sets

Sam S. smls75 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 17:49:08 UTC 2010

Hi again...

...does no one like the proposal? (It's ok if you don't... but pls
tell me... :-))

I've now also uploaded a detailed breakdown into individual change
suggestions (URL see previous mail), so you can more easily express
you opinion about specific parts of it...

The reason that I'm bringing the whole thing up is that I think it
would be a sensible thing to include in KDevelop 4.0 (which will
apparently go into feature freeze soon)... Many new users will try
this release, and the first impression counts. The UI should be
polished, and easy to understand without doing lots of trial & error
or having to read the user manual (which doesn't even exist yet, as
far as I can tell).

Especially David (as you seem to be the author of the working sets
functionality), what do you think? Any chance of seeing this is 4.0?

If you like my ideas but won't have enough time before the resease,
what about at least implementing this subset of mostly trivial
changes:

   II. working set indicators
         1. draw button background only on mouseover
   IV. floating "tooltip" dialogs
        i. header bar
              2. show large icon + title instead of icon inside button
                     2. append the string "(current)" in case of
                        active working set
        ii. buttons
              2. rename "Close Working Set" button to "Close" and
                 move to right of header bar
              3. rename "Open Working Set" button to "Switch to" and
                 move to right of header bar
              4. rename "Delete" button to "Remove"
                    1. also show in case of active working set!
              5. move "Add All" and "Substract All" buttons from
                 header bar to "Documents:" line
                    1. rename to "add all to current" and "substract
                       all to current"
                    2. don't show in case of active working set (not
                       even in greyed-out form)

Cheers

  Sam