Contributing to KDevelop as a student

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Jan 6 22:21:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Kris Wong <wongk at seapine.com> wrote:

> > Hi
> > I'm a student and I am interested in participating in this year's GSoC
> > for KDevelop.( I hope that KDE is going to participate as a mentoring
> > organization this time as well.) And I want to prepare for it in
> > advance and I'm trying to find some way that I can contribute to
> > KDevelop. By now, I have compiled KDevelop and fixed a very little bug
> > in the editor part. I'm really interested in the editor, auto
> > completion, code navigation and re factoring issues.
> > So I expect some guidelines from you to achieve my goal. What should I
> > work on? Are there any issues with those modules? Who should I
> > contact? what can I do to improve KDevelop? If I have a suggestion who
> > should I tell? How to be selected for GSoC for KDevelop?
> >
> > thanks in advance.
>
> I'm not in any way involved with GSOC, but I've seen several sutdents
> attempt
> KDevelop GSOC projects in my day. I believe the *only* successful GSOC
> projects
> I've seen were completed by David. I've seen them fail time and time again.
> would recommend you set realistic goals based on your level of knowledge.
> It
> would be great to see a GSOC project that adds value to KDevelop, rather
> than ending up in playground as unmaintained because the project was just
> too big to realistically complete.
>
> Any additions to the language support areas of KDevelop (completion,
> navigation,
> refactoring, etc...) are going to be highly complex. There are several GSOC
> projects
> in playground right now that might be realistic to finish so that they
> might be
> included in KDevelop, you're interested in going that route.
>
> -Kris Wong
>
> --

Well I think here the point is the commitment the student is going to have
after doing the GSoC, if he has to disappear (like most do), the work is
likely useless.

It's a good idea to offer gsoc students unmaintained stuff though. Maybe it
would be the way to push really important stuff we have there. (like git
support which will be really important when KDE moves to gitorious, which
shouldn't be that far away).

Anyway I think that providing patches outside GSoC would be a good way to
win points :p. We've seen many students that provided an application before
understanding KDev4's big picture.

Aleix

PS: Note that this year GSoC has not been announced yet.