SmartRange revisions in ParseJobs

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 20 12:52:22 UTC 2010

Am Freitag 19 Februar 2010 16:18:24 schrieb Milian Wolff:
> Hey all, esp. David:
>
> With recent trunk you'll see that Cristoph added a warning when the
> clearRevision is called from the wrong thread (the locks are apparently
>  per- thread else all kind of havoc could happen).
>
> The parsejobs do useRevision in contentsAvailableFromEditor but
>  clearRevision in their dtor, both are in different threads (form in the
>  background due to backgroundparser, latter somewhere else due to
>  signal/slot connections).
>
> So how should we fix that properly in KDevelop? Introduce something like a
> SmartRevisionLocker that does clearRevision when it gets closed down, and
>  set this up in the ::run() of each ParseJob? I can't see how it could be
>  completely hidden from the implementation of a language parsejob though...
>
> Ideas?

Hmm, the real solution would be changing the API around useRevision and
clearRevision. However as that's not possible, I guess the only solution will
be adding a function like "finished()" to ParseJob which does the cleanup, and
making sure that it's always called within the parse-thread when the parse-job
is ready.

Yes, ideally it should be completely hidden from the parse-job implementation
itself. Maybe the thread-weaver has some API that could be used for that?

Greetings, David