Menu-Structure

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Feb 17 10:28:16 UTC 2010

On 17.02.10 09:00:25, Vadym Krevs wrote:
> 1. Very often you said that you use the keyboard most of the time, and
> don't want to use the mouse. Then why care so much about the menu
> structure? After all, it exists primarily for those users who don't
> use the keyboard so much or who are trying to discover how to perform
> a particular task. And making menu layout inconsistent with every
> other IDE/editor makes that discovery frustrating. For example, have a
> look at Qt Creator - same functionality as the one present in kdevelop
> is presented in a standard way that any user would be able to work
> with without any confusion

No its not. I took me several seconds to find out how to switch between
header/source or declaration/definition (the latter didn't even work).
There are various things I'd use regularly that are hidden in an obscure
"Extra" menu, that doesn't tell me at all (from its name) what might be
inside. Apart from that, QtCreator is a prime example where the
developers decided to create a relatively different design of the GUI,
compared to existing IDE's and it seems to work quite well. We're just
taking things a step further.

I'll not comment on the rest as David already said everything that could
be said to this. If you can't work with KDevelop because the menu
structure is too different from what you're used to, you can still just
use another IDE.

You can create your own opportunities this week.  Blackmail a senior executive.