Menu-Structure

Nicolai Haehnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 07:55:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
>> I don't think that's required. Most of us use the app every day, so we're
>> the best persons to give feedback about the usability.
>
> Here at the sprint we thought something along these lines as well. Kate hasn't
> had good experience with usability testing because somebody proposed changes
> that simply suck when you actually use the app (i.e. indentation/tab in
> different tabs, colors all over the place, ...).
>
> We should - if at all - ask our users.

I've been following KDevelop SVN for a while now. Here's my rough
train of thought when the menu changed:

1. I want to open a project (that tends to be one of the few things I
use the menu for at all, mostly I just use keyboard shortcuts, the
sidebar and the awesome Code Browser).
2. Where the f*** is the Project menu?
3. After a couple of seconds: Oh, there it is!
4. Did I mess up the build?
5. Sees separators.
6. Hey, that structure makes a lot of sense! Very cool!

So yeah, it totally breaks consistency, but since the primary object
manipulated by KDevelop isn't a File, but rather a Project (at least
from my perspective; seems the developer consensus was that the
primary object is a Session, but that's a minor detail), it totally
makes sense to have the corresponding menu earlier.

So count me as a happy user.

cu,
Nicolai