Menu-Structure

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 16 22:07:42 UTC 2010

Am Dienstag 16 Februar 2010 21:51:16 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> I know this will sound like we don't care about our users, but first and
> foremost I am my own user and hence I'm not going to work on reverting
> to the old structure as I (as a user) like the new structure. After all,
> we're working on this for our fun and/or to have an IDE that we (as in
> kdevelop developers) can use.
>
> That said, I think the implementation allows to relatively easily switch
> the first two "groups" of menus. Which would at least alleviate the
> major concerns posted in the blog as far I can see.
>
> Personally I don't see why top-left position makes something an
> important menu item. In fact I think the most-important items should be
> around the middle of the menu area making the average mouse-distance as
> short as possible.

Actually that's really exactly the discussion we had when I implemented that
restructuring. At that point I just had the idea that the restructured menu
might be better, but after using it for a while I've got to say I simply love
the new menu structure. What we had before was an utter mess, just compare
screenshots and see the difference, now it finally is a menu that has some
useful 'Structure', a menu where you can find stuff without doing a linear-
search through everything.

It is clear that there would be some "but it's different" moaning at some
point, but _surprisingly_ until now the feedback has been purely positive,
which is astonishing given the significance of the change.

Greetings, David