Kate inline widgets (Was: Start of the Sprint)

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Feb 13 11:25:35 UTC 2010

Vladimir Prus, 13.02.2010:
> On Saturday 13 February 2010 13:59:06 Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Vladimir Prus, 13.02.2010:

> > > I hope you folks have fun there. I have one question. Probably some of
> > > you saw a prior prototype screenshot of code to show error message
> > > from
> > >
> > > compiler inside the source. See:
> > > 	http://vladimir_prus.blogspot.com/2009/05/kdevelop-error-display-
and-

> > bread
> >
> > > crumbs.html
> > >
> > > It's not yet in SVN, because it requires Kate patch, and we were not
> > > able to fully iron out all bugs. Is there any chance any Kate hacker
> > > will be interested in helping with this during the sprint? If so, I
> > > will update and send the current patch.
> >
> > A current patch would be good, that way we can see how much hacking it is
> > and what it would require.
>
> Ok, I'll update and sent it.
>
> > But imo the current way with the popups (see problem solver e.g.) is good
> > as well imo. Maybe we don't need this after all?
>
> You mean, a popup that appears when you select something in the "Problems"
> view?

Exactly. But you can also click in the code that is underlined, example:

#include <will_not_be_found.h>

This will get an entry in the problem reporter about "file not found" and you
can click inside the <> and the same problem-solver popup will show up.

> Well, my goal is to make the "Problems" view unnecessary completely.
> By showing the first error inline, you no longer need to manually click in
> a separate window.

The good thing with the Problems view is that it's not confined to the current
file, it directly shows you an overview of *all* found problems in every file
parsed. Hence I don't see your approach completely replacing the problem view.

> Or have I misunderstood you?

No, I don't think so :)

Nevertheless: Maybe the techneque is usefull for other places. I still think
that having a patch somewhere would be a good thing. That way one can have a
look at it and see whether there are other places that could profit from it.
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de