slowness of Cpp::EnvironmentFile::merge

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 27 14:19:39 UTC 2010

The set-operations should be correct.

14% isn't all that much, considering how much this code is doing. It merges
the sets of all strings and macros contained in the file and in _all_ of its
includes (recursively). I also think that this code is mainly problematic on
macro-heavy headers, so your test might not be representative. During most
of my profilings, I got something around 5% I think.

However, after I've already disabled most of the environment-management, I
will have to rethink whether we really need all this information. At least
the macro-sets are definitely required, but maybe we don't need the
string-sets any more.

On an implementation level, there is not much room for optimizations.

Greetings, David