Auto-completion "eats" next symbol

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 17:26:10 UTC 2010

On 12/09/2010 03:17 PM, Julien Desgats wrote:
> So, what do you think about this idea of improvement ?

As a C++ developer using Kdevelop, I find this behaviour really annoying
about 50% of times, but really useful the rest of the times, so I would
really love to have both options available. I see 3 ways to achieve this:

1) Show both auto-completion options:
For example:
 f][bar(0);
offers both:
 foo (replace) => foo(][0);
 foo (insert)  => foo][bar(0);
There should probably an option to show both or just one (and in which
order).

2) Insert + select text:
Auto-complete inserting the new text and select what would be replaced,
so if the user don't need it he just have to hit backspace or delete
after completing the word. For example:
 f][bar(0);
will suggest "foo" and after completion you will get
 foo]bar[(0);

3) Replace + history:
Auto-complete replacing the text, but split the completion event and the
replacement event in the history. A user can then just undo using ctrl+z
and have the auto-completed word inserted instead of replaced.

The 3rd option seems the most reasonable to me, because it won't affect
the behaviour of people used to the actual auto-completion, but probably
2 and 3 could be offered with a config option.

Cheers,
 Daniele