4.1 release schedule

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Aug 17 05:54:17 UTC 2010

On 17.08.10 01:20:46, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2010 01:17:55 Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Hello all.
> >
> > I've recently had a discussion with Aleix and Andreas on IRC on how and
> > when to do the next release.
> >
> > If I remember correctly, we three agreed that having a 4.1 release that
> > works with KDE 4.4 is desirable, not least because of e.g. Debian Squeeze.
> >
> > My plan for 4.1 now is the following, which I propose hereby to you.
> >
> > - do polishing and bug fixing the next two weeks. Last minute inclusion of
> > small new features, maybe even merge Git plugin.
>
> I've continued to discuss the Git merging with Apol while writing this mail
> and forgot to change this paragraph.

I'm split on this personally. I'd love to have git as part of
kdevplatform, but I'm also hesitant as its unclear how stable it is to
me at least. IIRC it does work, even though the internal design isn't
quite good.

> As it might get a bit much together with the movingranges, I propose to give
> moving ranges a few weeks time to kill hidden bugs in it. Then merge new
> features.

IMHO movingranges branch should be top-priority to merge. Either merge
git into master before 4.1 branching or do it with the movingranges as
its not that big a change anyway. AFAIU David runs movingranges on a
daily basis, so thats good-enough testing for me personally to merge it
asap after 4.1 branching.

> Also I hope to release 4.2 well before KDE 4.6, as starting with 4.6 our
> moving ranges branch is a must-have and I don't want to have another KDE
> version without working KDevelop.

At the latest we should release with 4.6 end of January.

You are so boring that when I see you my feet go to sleep.