4.1 release schedule

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Aug 16 23:17:55 UTC 2010

Hello all.

I've recently had a discussion with Aleix and Andreas on IRC on how and when
to do the next release.

If I remember correctly, we three agreed that having a 4.1 release that works
with KDE 4.4 is desirable, not least because of e.g. Debian Squeeze.

My plan for 4.1 now is the following, which I propose hereby to you.

- do polishing and bug fixing the next two weeks. Last minute inclusion of
small new features, maybe even merge Git plugin.
- branch of 4.1 on 1st of September, release first beta. Feature freeze
- bug fixing with hopefully one beta release per week. If we don't have enough
time/manpower to do useful stuff in one week, one release every two weeks.
- string freeze on 15th of September.
- first RC release on first of Oktober.
- 4.1 release on 15th of Oktober.

Yes, it's two months until then. I'd like to decrease the time, but:

- I'll have a one week vacation at end of August without net connection
- we need at least one month of string freeze if I understood Andreas
correctly, will talk to Albert about that
- we need at least two weeks of free-for-all bug fixing, polishing etc. pp.
without string freeze getting in our way.

This is just a proposal, if you have better ideas, I'm all for it.

Furthermore: Once 4.1 is branched, I'll merge the movingrange branches into
master, so that people can use kdelibs/kate trunk with kdevelop master again.

Also I think I'll do a 4.0.2 release next week as it's rather simple and there
are a bunch of bug fixes there as well. Afterwards, 4.0.x will be dead.

Bye

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de