Question about file patterns

Syron mr.syron at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 11 08:39:42 UTC 2010

I am currently (for experimental/personal purposes) doing a major rewrite of
some parts of the grepview plugin, and I discovered that the "Files" string
is a list of wildcard patterns checked against the filename, while the
"Exclude" string is a list of regexp's checked against the whole path
including the filename.
My question is: Why is the "Exclude" check a regexp? Shouldn't it also be a
wildcard pattern? In my opinion a partial match of a wildcard pattern should
fulfill all needs (and would be much easier to write, as there are many
people who cannot write regexp's or do not understand how they work).

-- Syron