How to get the Project Dashboard right

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Apr 28 22:41:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:29 AM, Sandro Andrade
<sandro.andrade at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Aleix,
>
> Yes, that would be great for KDevelop. I wonder if the information
> provided by KDE Observatory plasma applet - commit history, top
> developers, krazy reports, open bugs, etc - could be somehow
> integrated in KDevelop. I was considering to create a plugin using
> corona to display the applet inside KDevelop, but of course other
> solutions should be evaluated.
>
> See you,
> Sandro
>
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > As you will probably have seen, I got the community integration proposal
> > into this year's GSoC. Great. We decided with my mentor (Andreas :) that
> we
> > would discuss the ideas here on the list, so here I am exposing some
> first
> > step: the Project Dashboard.
> >
> > One of the most important parts of this project is the Project Dashboard
> > which will be some page that will offer some information to the user
> about
> > the project he just opened. Of course, we want to make it available for
> any
> > plugin to put their information there. My idea for that would go
> something
> > like this: http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdev_dashboard_mockup.html.
> > I want first of all the logo and the description that should take all the
> > width and then a list with all the elements that initially I think 2
> > elements per row would be fine but we might want to make that
> configurable,
> > shouldn't be a problem.
> >
> > To use it, we would add a signal to the Project controller that would
> pass
> > the ProjectDashboard instance to any file that was connected to the
> signal
> > (emulating the observer pattern) and then it should be filled. Any
> addition
> > would have some weight to make it possible to provide some importance to
> > each element.
> >
> > here's a mockup for the API:
> > class IProjectController
> > {
> >     //...
> >     signals:
> >         void elementsRequested(IProject* project, ProjectDashboard*
> > dashboard);
> > };
> >
> > class ProjectDashboard
> > {
> >     public:
> >         addElement(DashboardElement* element, int weight);
> > };
> >
> > //here the methods would be needed for configuration more than for the
> main
> > display
> > class ProjectDashboardElement : public QGraphicsWidget
> > {
> >     public:
> >         KIcon icon() const;
> >         QString name() const;
> [...]

Hi Sandro!
When we have that it will be easy to integrate, don't worry about that. I
think that in kdevelop we have better tools to integrate commit logs and
such but maybe we can get some code for the krazy results integration.
Anyway it's just a matter of adding more plugins than how to implement it
which is what I was looking for in this thread :).

Thanks!
Aleix