Compiling modified libkate with kdevelop 3.5

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Apr 26 15:59:37 UTC 2010

On 26.04.10 17:31:23, Antoine Calando wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am working with last svn versions from branch 3.5 of libkate and kdevelop.
>
> I have done some little modifications in libkate, I overwrited my system libkatepart
> library files with the new one, and when starting kdevelop, it was working
> fine.
>
> The problem is that, after I made bigger modifications in the kate API and tryied
> to use the new files, kdevelop is crashing during the launch. Ok, it is because
> it needs to be recompiled with this new kate API, but when I recompile it,
> I always get this crash. I suppose it is still linking/including old libkate files.
>
> My problem is that I cannot understand where is the link in kdevelop repository
> with kate. I searched through makefiles, there is no place where kate is included
> or linked, except "languages/cpp/app_templates/kateplugin", but I guess this is
> not the right place.
>
> My system is actually a big mess, with many different kdevelop and kate sources
> and binaries more or less built and installed, so it is quite hard to understand
> which are (and where are) the dependencies.
>
> I would welcome any hint on how kdev 3.5 is using libkate.

Kdevelop doesn't use kate directly. It uses the KTextEditor classes from
kdelibs and loads the katepart library dynamically during the startup. How
exactly this works in kde3, I don't know. There's a .desktop file for
libkatepart somewhere, KLibLoader or something like that from kdelibs is
involved and also the KDEDIRS variable is used to find out from where to
load libkatepart.

You may be recognized soon.  Hide.