GSOC -- Bug fixing

Olivier J. G. olivier.jg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 00:17:55 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 12:56 AM, David Nolden <zwabel at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Actually bug-fixing would be a _very_ useful GSOC project, but it
> doesn't sound like a very good title for a GSOC, as it is hard to
> measure a "success".
>
> You've shown that you're capable of doing some work on the C++
> language support, so maybe it would be good to put the focus onto one
> specific task that is not too complicated, and define bug-fixing to be
> a secondary goal, focusing on the surrounding areas.

Sounds good to me.

> An interesting and not too hard "main" target could for example be
> basic C++ 0x support. Many aspects of C++ 0x (for example the "auto"
> keyword), are very simple to implement with the current architecture.
> Some require changes to the parser though. You could pick some basic
> C++ 0x features that you want to implement as a "primary" target, and
> define general bugfixing on the c++-support and language support in
> general as a secondary goal.

While C++0x support specifically doesn't interest me too terribly...
I'd certainly be interested in a few other areas of C++ support. What
about signature assistant improvements, as we had discussed a few
months back? Get a test structure in, finishing the function
assistant, adding an assistant for declaration renaming, etc. Would
that be reasonable? Is there anything else that you can think of in
addition to that?
Also, I try not to be to bothersome in my attempts at fixing, but are
you able to mentor?
Thanks,
Olivier JG