kdevelop 4 parsing on opensuse 11.2 is extremely slow for linux kerenl project

Christoph Bartoschek bartoschek at gmx.de
Fri Apr 2 12:50:30 UTC 2010

Am Freitag 02 April 2010 schrieb Christoph Bartoschek:
> I've also tried to import the linux kernel tree. However I do not see that
> parsing is slow. I would say that the problem lies in the
> IncludePathResolver. My observations are:
>
> 1. During importing kdevelop only takes 10-25% CPU time.
> 2. The IncludePathResolver changes the timestamps of the files all the
>  time and it seems as if a FileSystemWatcher is fired because of the
>  changes within kdevelop. (Why is the resovler not using the option
>  --assume-new provided by make? At least if the make is GNU make)

I've just seen in the code that there is code that is able to use the --
assume-new option. However the timestamps are still always updated. Why is
this not enabled?

I've made the following experiment. I've disabled the IncludePathResolver: it
always returns false.

Now the whole linux kernel is initialy parsed in 15 minutes on my machine.
I've tried to load it with the Resolver enabled but gave up after 2 hours and
5% loaded.

In my experiment I used 4 parser threads but I see only 144% CPU time on my
4-core-machine. This means that kdevelop still wastes lots of time waiting. I
do not know for what it waits: mutexes or I/O.  Unfortunately I do not know a
good profiler that is able to analyze waiting time. Callgrind is definitively
the wrong one.

Christoph