kdevelop 4 parsing on opensuse 11.2 is extremely slow for linux kerenl project

Nitin Gupta ngupta at vflare.org
Thu Apr 1 05:29:24 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 2:10 AM, David Nolden <zwabel at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2010/3/30 f. achkar <fachkar.datawind at gmail.com>:
>> greetings David Nolden,
>> I'm not sure but I think there is something not right about the code parser!
>> I imported the latest kernel in kdevelop
>>
>> Version 3.9.98 (using KDevPlatform 0.9.98)
>> Using KDE 4.3.5 (KDE 4.3.5) "release 0"
>>
>> no offense, but does it take ages to parse the freaking code and it does not
>> succeed to find all variables correctly!
>> Now, I checked the:
>> http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php/KDevelop_4/Feature_Plan
>>
>> and it seems all code parsing is done! correct me if wrong?
>
> a) KDevelop is a C++ IDE, not a C IDE.

I think it will be really helpful to make it appropriate for C
projects too -- especially
large ones like the Linux kernel. Slow in-built parser is really a
showstopper for such
a use case. I also pointed out other problems that make it (as in current state)
unsuitable for large C projects:
https://barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de/mailman/private/kdevelop-devel/2010-March/036764.html

I hope to submit a GSoC proposal for the same.

Thanks,
Nitin