What's missing for 4.0

Nicolai Hähnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 10:57:35 UTC 2009

Am Thursday 17 September 2009 20:21:50 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> On 17.09.09 19:02:18, Nicolai Haehnle wrote:
> > 3. I'm not particularly happy with VCS integration. Not that there are
> > particular bugs, it's just the UI I have discovered so far just seems
> > wrong for my Git workflow. To be honest, I haven't investigated this a
> > lot and just sticked to the CLI after a very brief look. This is
> > definitely not something that should delay a 4.0 release.
>
> It won't, unless there's a wonder and someone wants to maintain it for
> the next 2 years it'll be moved to playground soonish.

Can you clarify what you mean by that? Surely you don't want to abandon all
VCS integration?

> > 5. Some C-style constructs still seem to be incompletely supported in
> > the parser/duchain. In particular, struct initializers don't work
> > correctly. That's not exactly critical though, and it's something I
> > might work on if I find the time.
>
> You, this is a C++ IDE and we have a C++ parser, so some C features will
> never be recognized in KDevelop (unless someone writes a pure-C plugin).

Actually, I'm talking about constructions that are valid C++, but are C-style
in the sense that you don't see them in typical C++ programs because they come
from a more C-like coding style. E.g. stuff like:

someStruct theStruct = { 1, 2, "another initializer" };

Last I checked, the parser chokes on that. It's not a huge deal, but it
prevents theStruct from being added to the duchain, which is an inconvenience.

As for the rest of the points: I agree, and the point of my list was mostly to
give you an idea of what I as a user experience. The moral of it is that -
except for potential crashes - KDevelop is in my opinion ready for a 4.0
release, except possibly the debugger, but that is obviously being worked on,
or has already been fixed (I saw some SVN commits to that extent, but I
haven't tested them myself yet).

cu,
Nicolai