What's missing for 4.0

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Fri Sep 18 05:25:39 UTC 2009

On Thursday 17 September 2009 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > I'm not sure wether remote debugging will make it into 4.0.
> > >

> > Is remote debugging really very different? at least if it is using gdb? My
> > daily work is with embedded systems and the only difference between them is in
> > the way i launch gdb. For native apps, i execute "gdb path/to/app" and with
> > remote system "arm-none-eabi-gdb -x path/to/gdbinit path/to/app".
> >
> > Rest is all the same it seems. I recently tried debugging a remote target
> > using kdev4 and it did not work. I did not explore further but it does not
> > seem like a great deal as long as one can configure the gdb executable and
> > some launch parameters. I did try that in the gdb configuration, but it did
> > not seems to work and i don't know why. It works fine in kdev3.
>
> Well, it'll only work if that arm-none-eabi-gdb is built from gdb cvs
> head and supports the MI interface. Apart from that, there's (AFAIK)
> also some gdb + gdbserver kind of remote debugging (dunno details as I
> don't use any of that).

Well, if you want to remotely debug arm-none-eabi target, then kdevelop side
needs fairly small tweaks to be of practical use.

The gdbserver approach, in itself, is not much different, except that it implies
that target is whatever-linux, and that introduces additional issues due to
the fact that linux applications use shared libraries, typically, and shared
libraries are located in different places on host and target. But that's
also not very hard to confgure in .gdbinit.

- Volodya