Extreme display corruption

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 14 16:05:53 UTC 2009

Am Montag 14 September 2009 15:26:36 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
> This way we end up with each app circumventing defaults.  Imagine if
> each app would do that.  Users would have to configure each and every
> one separately and we're back to the 1980's.  Surely I'm not the only
> one who sees something wrong about this approach?  On most systems, Qt
> is not configured with raster as default, and there's a reason for that.
>
> In any event, I don't feel too strongly about it, since now I know how
> to fix it.  Just mentioning that this might bite lots of people and it
> might be a good idea to make this configurable in KDevelop and using
> Qt's default by default.

The Qt developers themselves say this is _not_ a users choice, but a choice of
the application developers. And at least in past, KDevelop was unbearably slow
with the native engine, at least with many drivers.

If you don't feel it then it's either because you have better drivers, or
because Qt has improved.

With the raster engine, it actually should be completely independent of the
drivers, as everything is done in software. So what you see is probably a bug
in Qt directly. Have you compiled your Qt manually?

Greetings, David