Debugger Performance regression?

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Mon Sep 14 05:39:45 UTC 2009

On Sunday 13 September 2009 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just wanted to check wether anybody else as performance problems with
> current kdevplatform/kdevelop when debugging apps? In particular startup
> of KDevelop inside KDevelop takes a couple of minutes until the
> mainwindow is shown. I know this was better some time ago, but can't say
> since when I haven't tried this.
>
> Vladimir are you aware of any breakages from the recent changes that
> would create such horrible performance? I've checked the internal
> commands and during the long waiting time there's no output showing up
> there...

Is the disk spinning? This is likely to be gdb loading debug symbols for all
of KDevelop, which happens with console gdb as well. I've just measured.

With gdb 6.8, the time between 'run' command in console gdb till the time
when the kdevelop window appears 0:14. With CVS HEAD gdb, it took 0:26.
So, some regression did happen. Before I poke gdb developers, can you double-check
there's no extra delay when debugging using KDevelop, as opposed to console gdb.

BTW, with cold cache and gdb 6.8, the time is 1:52.

- Volodya