Cleanup of plugins and Release Plan

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat Oct 17 13:58:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just done a bit of cleanup with our plugins. In particular these
> have been moved to playground:
>
> kdevplatform/veritas - unmaintained and nobody uses it
> kdevplatform/plugins/git - doesn't work currently and nobody works on it
> kdevelop/xtest - as with veritas and has usability problems
> kdevelop/tools/coverage - as with veritas
>
> I've also moved the documentview plugin from kdevelop to kdevplatform as
> its useful there too.
>
> So much for that, now the the more important question (and as far as I
> recall from the last discussion regarding whats missing): Can we release
> with KDE 4.4? In particular I'd like to follow the KDE 4.4 release
> schedule, which means hard feature freeze in 5 weeks.
>
> Any of the devs have something on his plate which he thinks has to be in
> 4.0 that'll take longer than 5 weeks to implement?
>
> I'd personally really like to get into a feature freeze rather sooner
> than later. As you all may well know there's been almost no development
> in the last 2 or 3 weeks and I think/hope that a feature freeze and the
> following bug-fixing period would stimulate the development again.
> Simply because at least for me there's "so much to do" that I don't even
> know where to start and instead of starting somewhere I just find
> something else to do :(
>
> Andreas
>
> PS: And for 4.1 I think it would make sense to clearly define which
> features we'd like to implement so we can better plan that release.
>
> --
> Beware of Bigfoot!
>
> --

I think that's great, it's a good thing we're releasing.
We talked at some point to have some plugins in extragear, maybe now it
would be a good moment to think about it. Maybe the git plugin would get
more attention there attention, I don't know how bad it is anyway...

On bugfixing I guess it's hard to get people excited, but we're actually
being quite stable right now, it's good we're getting freezed soon, that
will let us concentrate. String freeze will be more of an issue though, if
we need it for bug fixing, but we will get there.

About 4.1, it would be nice if we could gather at some point for a dev
meeting, maybe it's too early to think about that, but I guess it's the way
to get things done in a uniform way.

Aleix